Updated: September 21, 2022
NEW: We are happy to report that the City Center Zendo and Buddha Hall are open for in-person morning and evening zazen and service, the Saturday and Wednesday Dharma talks, and for ceremonies. One-day sittings and sesshins are also open at City Center. Green Gulch Farm is offering onsite one-day sittings; see below. We are excited to welcome our friends, old and new, back to the temple again! For now, the Sunday program at Green Gulch Farm is still closed; the Dharma talks are available via Zoom (see below).
We will continue to support our online community with online zazen, service, Dharma talks, and classes and workshops. See SFZC Online offerings.
San Francisco Zen Center remains committed to the health and safety of our residential and wider sangha, and to sharing the Dharma with all who seek it. May all beings, without exception, be safe and free from harm.
Note: As the Covid-19 situation is fluid, this page may be updated frequently. Be sure to consult it often and be prepared for information to change. If you have any questions or concerns, please email our Temple Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zendo and Buddha Hall: Vaccination and booster required. Please be prepared to respond to a query regarding this when you visit the temple. NOTE: Individual events such as workshops and classes may require filling out a vaccination form.
Morning zazen and service: Open to the public. Masking with a K/N95 is required at all times inside the building.
Evening zazen and service: Open to the public.
Visit our Daily Schedule page for more information about morning and evening zazen.
Saturday and Wednesday Dharma Talks: Open to the public; in the Buddha Hall. Masking with a K/N95 is required at all times inside the building. See the calendar for upcoming Dharma talks.
- Fall 2022 Practice Period: An Appropriate Response: Encountering Suzuki Roshi’s Teachings on The Blue Cliff Record, Visitor/Online 10/4 - 12/10: with Tenzen David Zimmerman and Rinso Ed Sattizahn; applications due September 26.
- Meals in the Temple: Breakfast is open to the public for those participating in the morning program and is available by donation. Lunch and dinner are not yet available.
- One-Day Sittings and Sesshins: Open to the public. Visit our Calendar or the Sitting Meditation & Sesshins page for upcoming events.
- Practice Periods and Intensives: Open to the public. Visit our Calendar or the Practice Periods & Intensives page for upcoming events.
- Short-term and long-term residential student stays: Open to the public. See our guest student program.
- Conference Center Rentals: Open for rentals to the public. Visit our Conference Center Rentals page for more information or contact Roger at email@example.com
- Sewing classes: Not yet open to the public. Contact sewing teacher, Tim Wicks, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entry to the 300 Page Street building: Generally not open to the public for drop-in visits. See information on this page for events that are open to visitors.
- Wednesday evening Dharma talk: Available in-person as well as livestreamed via Zoom and archived.
- Saturday morning Dharma talk: Available in-person as well as livestreamed via Zoom and archived.
- Practice Groups - Meditation in Recovery, Young Urban Zen, Queer Dharma, Zen en Espanol: Available online or in the temple (300 Page Street). Search the name of the practice group on sfzc.org to find Zoom links and more information.
- Classes and Workshops: Available both onsite and online. View SFZC Online here and the Calendar.
- Bookstore: Open for in-person shopping and available through the Online Store, which continues to offer contactless pickup and shipping.
- Library: Closed
- Room Rentals: Not open to the public.
Green Gulch Farm
- Residential student stays: Open to the public, please visit apprenticeship info page.
- Guest Student stays: From two weeks to longer. This program is currently open, with standard Covid vaccination and related requirements. See the Guest Student Stays page for more information.
- Fall 2022 Residential Practice Period: Compassion, Wisdom, and Formal Zen Practice, GGF 10/11 - 12/6, with Tenshin Reb Anderson. Applications due by September 9; late applications will be considered depending on available space.
- January 2023 Intensive, GGF 1/6 – 1/27, with Tenshin Reb Anderson. Applications due by November 18.
- One-Day Sittings: Open to the public. Visit the Calendar for dates.
- Entry to the grounds: Public trails open for hike-through only, no parking or restrooms available on site.
- GGF Welcome Center: Not open to the public.
- Zendo: Not open to the public.
- Sunday Dharma talk: Available livestreamed via Zoom and archived.
- Classes and Workshops: Available online; and onsite in a limited capacity. View SFZC Online and the Calendar.
- Bookstore: Online only; contactless pickup and shipping.
- Outreach volunteers: Limited – contact Karena Frances at email@example.com.
- Guest Room Rentals: Closed to the public.
- Conference Rentals: Conference facilities are open in a limited capacity. Visit our Conference Center Rentals page for more details and COVID policies. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Retreats: Available. View on the Green Gulch Calendar.
- SFZC Online: Online offerings and resources
- Zendo: Yes Zoom Link
- Saturday Dharma talk: Yes Zoom Link / Calendar
- Sunday Dharma Talk: Yes Zoom Link / Calendar
- Wednesday Dharma talk: Yes Zoom Link / Calendar
- Classes and Workshops: Yes SFZC Online and the full Calendar
- Half and Day-long Sittings: Yes Calendar
- Winter 2023 Practice Period at Tassajara led by Eijun Linda Cutts: January 6 – April 4; applications due by November 21