Here is the place; here the way unfolds. — Eihei Dōgen Zenji
Welcome to San Francisco Zen Center's Online Zendo. A variety of zendo-related events are hosted here. They are open to all and require no registration. See Online Zendo Schedule below.
- Zazen Meditation – Monday through Friday morning and evening; Saturday morning
- Dharma Talks – Wednesday evening, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning
- Ceremonies – daily service follows meditation; other ceremonies appear on the main calendar, usually follow morning or evening meditation, and are announced by the Zoom host
- Meditation Instruction – offered via our archive of recorded instruction sessions.
- Daily Schedule Modifications – The daily schedule is modified during sesshins, particularly the morning portion. For upcoming sesshin dates, please check the website calendar, which you can sort by Event Type; choose "Sitting Meditation and Sesshins."
- Public holidays – The Online Zendo is often closed on Monday and other public holidays, such as Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. Please check the website calendar for upcoming holidays.
The schedule and details about the Online Zendo offerings are listed below.
Support SFZC Online Programs:
Please consider supporting our practice centers and our expanding online community.
We are grateful for your support!
The online zendo meets using Zoom video conference technology. You can enter the online zendo using Zoom video conferencing on desktop computer, ipad, mobile devices, and phone.
Join the Online Zendo using Zoom
Online Zendo Schedule
Zazen and Service
|Monday – Friday|
|5:35 - 5:50 am||Opening Zoom and settling into seat; three bells at 5:50 am open zazen|
|5:50 - 6:50 am||Zazen (60-minute period with an interval as indicated below)|
|5:50 - 6:15 am||Zazen|
|6:15 - 6:20 am||Interval (indicated by a small bell at beginning and end; this is a time that can be used for stretching, standing, or adjusting one's zazen posture)|
|6:20 - 6:50 am||Zazen|
|At 6:50 am||Single bell followed by Robe Chant (shown in the Zoom chat window)|
|6:50 - 7:05||Short service including bowing & chanting*|
|*Chants will be available in the Zoom chat window; please have that open so you can follow along|
|Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday|
|5:15 - 5:30 pm||Opening Zoom and settling into seat; three bells at 5:30 pm open zazen|
|5:30 - 6:10 pm||Zazen (40 min)|
|6:10 - 6:20 pm||Evening service|
|Every third Thursday|
|5:30 - 6:30 pm||Online Practice Session with Rev. Heather Shoren Iarusso - 2021 dates: October 21, November 18, December 16|
|These interactive practice sessions include 20 minutes of meditation, a Dharma reflection by the teacher, and group discussion.|
|6:15 - 6:30 am||Opening Zoom and settling into seat; three bells at 6:30 am open zazen|
|6:30 - 7:00 am||Zazen (30 min)|
|7:00 - 7:10 am||Single bell followed by the Well-Being Ceremony (chant and names will show in Zoom chat window)|
|9:25 - 10:00 am||Zazen (35 min)|
|5 - 6 pm||Practice Session with Abbess Furyu Nancy Schroeder|
|This session features 20 minutes of zazen, a brief Dharma reflection from the abbess, and an opportunity for group interactive discussion.|
Upcoming Ceremonies - Refer to the calendar
|7:35 - 7:45 pm||Opening Zoom and settling into seat; densho (bell) at 7:35 pm for the talk to begin at 7:45 pm|
|7:45 - 8:30 pm||Dharma Talk|
|10:05 - 10:15 am||Opening Zoom and settling into seat; densho (bell) at 10:05 am for the talk to begin at 10:15 am|
|10:15 - 11 am||Dharma Talk|
|10 - 10:15 am||Opening Zoom and settling into seat; three bells at 10:15 am begin the talk|
|10:15 - 11 am||Dharma Talk|