Application Deadline: September 9
The Fall 2023 Practice Period at Green Gulch is an opportunity for beginning and experienced students to participate with others in an intense period of residential practice that centers around daily zazen, work, study, and regular one-on-one meetings with the teacher of the practice period. Weekly events include lectures, formal ceremonies, classes, oryoki meals (formal meals in the meditation hall), and gatherings with the teacher of the practice period. Participants commit to stay in the Green Gulch valley during the entire nine weeks.
This practice period will include one day of tangaryo sitting, a formal one-day sitting, a five-day November sesshin led by visiting teacher Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, and a seven-day rohatsu sesshin with the leader of the practice period, Abiding Abbot Jiryu Rutschman-Byler. The theme of this practice period is “zazen,” which includes both the formal practice of upright, warm-hearted sitting meditation and the ongoing, continuous practice of enacting big mind in everyday life.
Health & Safety Protocols:
There are Covid protocols in place at Green Gulch, including vaccination and other possible requirements. Please review and follow the current Health and Safety Requirements.
- Please review the Practice Period Guidelines/Shingi before submitting your application.
- Application for practice period is now closed.
- Deadline for applications is September 9.
- For questions or more information, contact the Abbot’s Assistant by email, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Non-refundable application fee: $30. This fee can be paid during the application process. Fee is waived for current SFZC residents.
- Practice period fee: $2400. This fee is paid after acceptance through application. The notice of acceptance to the practice period will be accompanied by information on paying the fee.