“Flowers Blooming on the Withered Tree”
When the tree of adhering to discrimination withers in the sun of great compassion, body and mind drop away and the flowers of true awakening bloom. During this practice period we will have the opportunity to receive - remember - practice - and transmit great compassion in everyday life.
The Spring 2020 Practice Period at Green Gulch is an opportunity for beginning and experienced students to participate with others in an intense period of residential practice that centers around daily zazen, work, study, and regular one-on-one meetings with the teacher of the practice period. Weekly events include lectures, formal ceremonies, classes, oryoki meals (formal meals in the meditation hall), and gatherings with the teacher of the practice period. Participants commit to stay in the Green Gulch valley during the entire eight weeks, which includes two one-day sittings and concludes with a seven-day sesshin.
- As part of the application process, applicants will come to Green Gulch Farm for an interview with the teacher of the practice period. If coming for the interview would be a hardship, it may be possible to make other arrangements. Tenshin Reb Anderson’s assistant Sonja Gardenswartz will schedule interviews upon receipt of applications.
- Please review the Practice Period Guidelines [Word] / [PDF] before submitting your application.
- Complete a practice period application: [Word] / [PDF]. See below for $30 application fee.
- Deadline for applications: December 31, 2019.
- For questions or more information, contact Tenshin Reb Anderson’s assistant Sonja Gardenswartz at email@example.com.
- Non-refundable application fee: $30. This fee can be paid by check or call the Green Gulch Farm main office at 415.383.3134 or the SFZC Reservations Office at 888.743.9362 or 415.475.9362.
- Practice period fee: $2181. This fee is paid after acceptance through application. The notice of acceptance to the practice period will be accompanied by information on paying the fee.