Shitou’s Dream: Riding a sea turtle on the great ocean of reality
Application Deadline: September 1
NOTE: Late applications will be accepted and reviewed
In this Practice Period led by Abbess Fu Schroeder we will study the Sandokai, written by Shitou Xiqian (Japanese Sekito Kisen), who we have been told was Suzuki Roshi's favorite Chinese Zen ancestor.
The story of Shitou’s awakening, recounted in the classic Soto Zen text The Transmission of Light, features Shitou’s dream in which he was riding with the Sixth Ancestor on a Sea Turtle on the Great Ocean of Reality. On awakening from the dream he wrote the Harmony of Difference and Equality.
We hope you can join us for our first residential Practice Period in what seems to have been a very long time.
Practice period offers an opportunity for beginning and experienced students to participate with others in an intense period of residential practice that centers around daily zazen, work, and study. Weekly events include lectures, services of bowing and chanting, classes, oryoki meals (formal meals in the meditation hall), and tea with the practice period leader. Students meet individually with the practice period leader and/or with other practice leaders several times throughout the retreat. We ask participants to commit to the entire eight weeks, which includes two one-day sittings and concludes with a seven-day sesshin.
Health & Safety Protocols
Practice period participants are required to be fully vaccinated (two weeks from final shot) for Covid-19 by the practice period arrival date. Vaccination documentation may be requested. Covid policies at Green Gulch are adjusted regularly, and some mask wearing and distancing protocols during practice period should be expected. As always during practice period, participants will commit to not leave the Green Gulch watershed for the duration of the practice period (except by arrangement or emergencies). If you have any questions related to Covid guidelines or vaccination, please contact Sonja at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please review the Practice Period Guidelines [PDF] before submitting your application.
- Complete a practice period application [Word] [PDF] and email the completed application to Sonja Gardenswartz at email@example.com. See below for $30 application fee.
- Deadline for applications is September 1, 2021.
- For questions or more information, contact Sonja Gardenswartz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-refundable application fee: $30. This fee can be paid by clicking on the link below. Or call the Green Gulch Farm main office at 415-383-3134 or the SFZC Reservations Office at 415-354-0360 to inquire about other payment methods. Fee is waived for current SFZC residents.
- Practice period fee: $2250. This fee is paid after acceptance through application. The notice of acceptance to the practice period will be accompanied by information on paying the fee.