Students in the online program participate via our Winter Intensive website. Students who live locally or are visiting the San Francisco area are invited to join us for open temple events such as zazen, ceremonies, dharma talks, and the class, Spiritual Experience and the Natural World. Yet, this Online Intensive is designed to reach those who cannot participate on-site on a regular basis and need to study on their own schedule.
All paid events at City Center are available to the participants at the member rate.
Nature and Experience
Led by Kyoshin Wendy Lewis
January 22 – February 15
Registration for online participation is due Friday, January 24.
Participants can engage in the intensive in one of three ways:
About the 2020 Winter Intensive
Nature and Experience
with Kyoshin Wendy Lewis
In the tradition of spirituality, the natural world plays an essential role. Deep understanding of one’s relationship to mortality and eternity is revealed in the context of the indifference of forests, deserts, mountains, oceans, and city streets.
According to the life and teaching of the Buddha, solitude in those uncomfortable, even unpromising, settings is essential to insight and understanding, and to the development of mature compassion. In the story of the Buddha’s enlightenment, it is when, after several years living in the forest that he finally determines to either discover the truth or die in the attempt, that his conversion unfolds.
The focus and work of the intensive will be to examine that inspiration in the context of our personal lifestyles, and find silence, solitude, and surroundings in which to test it in our own experience.
The Winter Intensive opens with a half-day sitting on January 25, and will end with a 5-day sesshin, February 11 – 15. (The sesshin must be registered for and paid for separately.)
As part of the Winter Intensive, Wendy will also teach a class, Spiritual Experience and the Natural World, on three evenings, January 23, January 30 & February 6, 7:30 - 9:00 PM.
The following offerings will be available to online participants:
- Live-streamed Dharma talks on Saturdays which will be available to watch at any time.
- Audio recordings of sesshin talks and Wednesday Dharma talks.
- Access to an audio recording of the March Intensive class, Spiritual Experience and the Natural World. The recording will be available for those who cannot attend live.
- Downloads of handouts, readings, and exercises.
- An online zendo to sit with others each morning Monday through Friday.
- Interactive meetings with practice leaders and peers via video conference calls.
- Discussion forum via the Winter Intensive website.
Online Registration & Questionnaire
- Register Online or call our toll-free number 888.743.9362 or our local number 415.475.9362 to register and pay for the practice period.
- And complete this Online Questionnaire.
Online Participation Fee: $99 general; $89 current members; $69 limited income.
Access to the intensive website will be provided a week prior to the practice period.
The deadline for registration is January 24. Some partial scholarships are available; please review this page for more information.