NOTE: Orientation is on the evening of Saturday, December 2, at 7:30 pm PT; see below.
Register by Friday, November 24.
The seven-day Rohatsu Sesshin commemorates Buddha's enlightenment and closes the Fall Practice Period.
Sesshins are traditional Soto Zen meditation retreats that include formal zendo meals, dharma talks, sitting and walking meditation, and private interviews with senior teachers. In order to understand the nature of our formal retreats, and to be clear about the details of the practice, please review a typical sesshin schedule, as well as our guidelines for zendo conduct. We ask those who attend sesshin to commit to following these guidelines and to participating in the schedule completely. If you have questions regarding the schedule or guidelines, please consult with the head of the meditation hall, the ino, via email (email@example.com) before completing your registration.
Saturday, December 2
- Arrival by 4 pm
- Oryoki training/refresher at 5:00 pm in the dining room
- Orientation for all participants 7:30 pm (in the Buddha Hall)
If you will need a chair for the entire sesshin please indicate that when you sign up.
Prerequisite: At least two one-day sittings at City Center or Green Gulch. If you have not participated in a San Francisco Zen Center sesshin before, please communicate with the ino (firstname.lastname@example.org) before signing up.
Onsite participation: This offering is open to those who have reviewed the Health and Safety Requirements.
- We have returned to the traditional Zen form of oryoki for eating meals during our sittings. You will need an oryoki set to participate in sesshin, unless you have made other arrangements through the ino (email@example.com).
- For anyone who is new to the form of oryoki or who would like a refresher, there will be a class on Saturday evening, December 2, at 5:00 pm in the City Center dining room.
- Please bring your bowls if you have them. There is an option below for purchasing ($60) or borrowing ($20) a set of oryoki bowls and cloths.
- Full price: $500
- SFZC members: $450
- Sliding Scale 1: $300
Meals are included in the cost of sesshin.
For additional discount options, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please register by Friday, November 24.
Optional overnight accommodations: Overnight accommodations are full; sesshin registration is now open only to commuter/vistior participants.