This class will be offered online. The Zoom link will be provided at least 24 hours before the class begins. Please call 415-354-0360 if you have any questions.
Suzuki Roshi said, “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities …”
Combining mindfulness and contemporary therapeutic techniques, this four-week online course explores how to best take care of ourselves by relating to depression and anxiety with compassion. The course guides participants to practice identifying, relating to, and interrupting conditionings that are hindrances to feeling better. With encouragement and skillful means participants cultivate practices to manage and prevent chronic feelings of unhappiness. By focusing on our direct experience we will learn to interrupt the mind’s habitual patterns that contribute to depression and anxiety.
Each week will consist of two sessions, a 2-hour class on Mondays which will combine presentations, guided meditations, exercises, and group discussion.
Then there will be a follow up one-hour practice session on four Wednesdays, which will include guided meditation, a brief practice encouragement, and time for participants to ask questions and share on their practice experience since the last class. While these practice sessions are auxiliary offerings, they will support participants to deepen the learnings offered in the previous class session.
The focus for each week of classes and practice sessions will be as follows:
- Week One ─ Being in the Present Moment with Whatever Shows Up
- Week Two ─ Recognizing and Interrupting Reactive Habit Patterns
- Week Three ─ Relating to Difficulties with Compassion and Lovingkindness
- Week Four ─ Strategies for Taking Care of Ourselves
During this class series, you will discover how it is possible for you to:
- Be released from the limiting storylines that you and others have told you about yourself
- Learn new skills that lead to untangling painful thoughts and self-criticism
- Build the capacity to be with emotional pain and distress with strength and courage
- Cultivate self-confidence and self-esteem as you practice using re-sculpting tools
- Learn to offer compassion and acceptance to yourself and others
- Cultivate a natural experience of peace, ease, and well-being
- Experience deeper authentic connection, presence, and vitality
- Feel better and have a more satisfying relationship to life
Appropriate for those who are new to meditation and for those who are experienced meditators.
|Monday Classes||Wednesday Practice Sessions|
|5:30 – 7:30 pm||5:30 – 6:30 pm|
|Week 1||July 12||July 14|
|Week 2||July 19||July 21|
|Week 3||July 27||July 29|
|Week 4||August 2||August 4|
A three-month, twice monthly TDA practice group—for which a TDA course such as this one is a prerequisite—will begin Monday, September 13. Please click here for more information and to register.
- Full price: $240
- SFZC members: $216
We offer a number of discounted tickets:
- Sliding Scale 1: $144
- Sliding Scale 2: $60
For additional discount options, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or call 415-354-0360.