Dharma talks by Zen teachers are a traditional method of transmitting the heart and understanding of Buddha's Way. Public Dharma talks are offered every Saturday morning and most Wednesday evenings. Everyone is welcome to attend.
For the March 18 Dharma talk, there will be a special topic and discussion:
Giving Life to Zen Forms: A Conversation
Soto Zen is known as the yogic arm of Mahayana practice, the Buddhist vehicle that harmonizes self and the world. Yet when we enter the front door of the temple, we are met with formal ways of moving and relating that might seem difficult, inaccessible, or rote both to those of us unused to them, or to those of us for whom they are required or habitual.
How do the traditional forms of Soto Zen help us understand the teachings of the Buddha? How can we as Westerners practice them in accessible, life-giving ways that truly help us and those whose lives we touch?
In this special morning of lecture and conversation, two SFZC resident priests trained in international Soto School practice explore the life of Zen forms: skillful means to study and realize oneness, difference, and interconnection in our own body and mind in ways that transcend words.
10:15 Lecture with Shosan Victoria Austin
11:10 Conversation with Shosan and Sozan Miglioli
For in-person, onsite attendance, please observe these Health & Safety Requirements:
- Participants must be vaccinated and have at least one booster shot.
- Participants must wear a KN95 or N95 mask at all times indoors.
- Participants are not allowed to attend:
- if they have cold or flu symptoms
- if they have been in close contact with anyone Covid positive in the last 14 days
- if they tested positive for Covid within the last 10 days. To return to the temple after a positive Covid infection, it must be at least 10 days since testing positive and the visitor must have a negative antigen test.
NOTE: Preceding the Dharma talk, from 10 - 10:15, there is a 15-minute period of gathering and settling to allow everyone to sign in on time and be prepared for the talk to begin.
To join the Dharma Talk using Zoom:
Meeting ID: 264-616-8381
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
Find your local number
San Francisco Zen Center welcomes donations. Thank you for your support.