Fall 2017 Practice Period at Green Dragon Temple, GGF 10/17 – 12/12
Zen and Everyday Life – Tenzokyokun: Instructions to the Head Cook
Led by Central Abbess Eijun Linda Ruth Cutts
October 17 – December 12
Practice period offers an opportunity for beginning and experienced students to participate with others in an intense period of residential practice that centers around daily zazen, work, and study. Weekly events include lectures, services of bowing and chanting, classes, oryoki meals (formal meals in the meditation hall), and tea with the practice period leader. Students meet individually with the practice period leader and/or with other practice leaders several times throughout the retreat. We ask participants to commit to the entire eight weeks, which includes two one-day sittings and concludes with a seven-day sesshin.
During the fall practice period we will be studying how to bring zazen and Zen practice into all the aspects of our everyday life. We will be using the beloved text Tenzokyokun: Instructions for the Head Cook by Dōgen Zenji, the well-known Japanese Zen Master of the 13th century, as well as commentaries on that text by Shunryu Suzuki, Kosho Uchiyama, and Shohaku Okumura.
The Tenzokyokun is filled with memorable Zen stories and koans grounded in our everyday activity. The simple actions involved in preparing meals and taking care of ingredients and utensils is shown to be the gateway to an enlivened life of practice and vow. We too will be supported to enact these practices with mindfulness and care in our daily activities together.
- Please review the Practice Period Guidelines [Word] [PDF] before submitting your application.
- Complete a practice period application: [Word] [PDF]. (See below for $30 application fee.)
- Deadline for applications is August 15.
- For questions or more information, contact Tova Green at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-531-0682.
- Non-refundable application fee: $30. This fee can be paid by check or by using the Register Online button
- Practice period fee: $2181. This fee is paid after acceptance through application. The notice of acceptance to the practice period will be accompanied by information on paying the fee.