Please consider carpooling to Green Gulch. Driving directions are available online at maps.google.com. Cell phone service is spotty over the last few miles of Highway 1. If you are unfamiliar with the area, please print a map.
- Take Highway 101 to the Highway 1/Stinson Beach exit.
- Turn left at the Arco station onto Highway 1 (Shoreline Highway).
- Follow the green signs for Highway 1/Stinson Beach.
- After 2.5 miles the road forks - bear left and down towards Muir Beach.
- Continue on for 2 miles. Make a sharp left into the driveway at the large wooden "Zen Center/Green Gulch Farm/Wheelwright Center" sign. (If you find yourself at Muir Beach and the Pelican Inn, you've gone too far. Turn around and go back up the hill. We're on the right, about 1/2 mile up.)
To encourage carpooling, vehicles with two or more occupants park free at the Sunday program; a $5 donation is suggested for single drivers. Also, "muffin bucks" will be given out by the sangha member collecting parking donations between 8:50 and 10 am on Sunday mornings, and will be offered to visitors whose ridesharing results in leaving an actual vehicle behind (eg, not from the same household). These can be used for a dollar off the purchase of the muffins offered at the tea following the Sunday dharma talk.
We recommend that you do not leave valuables in your car.
Green Gulch programs have returned to normal after a summer of intense construction. Due to recently clarified pedestrian and car routes, as well as ADA accessibility improvements, there is less parking overall at Green Gulch.
Visit the Rideshare Board online, or join the email group for carpooling to Green Gulch by sending an email to . You'll be able to easily reach other sangha members who regularly attend the Sunday program.
Golden Gate Transit offers bus service connecting San Francisco and Marin and Sonoma Counties. The transfer points nearest Green Gulch are the Manzanita Park and Ride Lot
in Mill Valley (about 5 miles from Green Gulch) and the Marin City bus stop
(about 6 miles away, more frequent and earlier and later service).
To plan transit:
- First plan a ride from Manzanita or Marin City (see the next section).
- Then go to transit.511.org or dial 511 and ask for "Golden Gate Transit" buses.
- State your starting point and time.
- During commute times give "Manzanita Park and Ride" in Mill Valley as your destination.
Otherwise ask for the Marin City bus transfer point; the address is "Donahue St. and Terners Dr." in Sausalito.
- Allow 5 minutes between the scheduled bus arrival and your ride to Green Gulch.
The Manzanita Park and Ride lot is under the freeway at the junction of Highways 1 and 101 in Mill Valley, just across from the Buckeye Roadhouse. Parking is limited to 24 hours.
The Marin City bus stop is at the Gateway Shopping Center.
Cab fare between Manzanita and Green Gulch is about $30 (add about $5 for Marin City).
The Marin Airporter runs every half hour from 4am-11pm between SFO and Manzanita. The cost is $20 each way (cash and local checks only). Also, the Marin Airporter offers arrangement for taxi service from Manzanita; you can set this up when you board the bus. Reservations for the Marin Airporter are not required. 415.461.4222
Marin Door-to-Door offers service between Green Gulch and SFO or OAK for $70 each way ($12 for each additional person). Reservations must be made by noon of the day before travel. 415.457.2717
Cab fare to SFO is about $115.
SF Bay Area Transit: transit.511.org, 511
Marin Airporter: marinairporter.com, 451.461.4222
Marin Door-to-Door: marindoortodoor.com, 415.457.2717
Mill Valley Taxi, 415.383.8484
Sausalito Taxi, 415.332.2200